My Blog List

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Not a writer

As a junior in college, it is embarrassing and even a shame to not being able to write. So, I want to take the time to apologize to anyone who is sitting down and is reading through my post. My ideas go from one point to another they don't flow. I am just writing the words as they are coming to my head. I will sit for hours looking at the blank page, I will sit to the point where tears will start blurring my vision. How do a writer just think of one sentence to just draw a reader in and make them want to read more. How does it happen? Is it like a walk in the park? Or cooking? Or is it like a doctor that is not good in math and they hire an accountant, me. As a future accountant, would I one day need to hire an author to write a letter for me? I will wake up in the middle of the night in cold sweat with my heart pounding really hard against my chest whenever the next post is due. 

I truly believe that someone is born a writer. When I write and have to describe a story, I do it like I am having a conversation with someone just minus the mmhs and the eehs. I do not want to settle for less but being able to write correctly would be a great achievement for me. I will pray to God be able to write a decent paper, before going to sleep every night, I just send a little prayer to God to please help me think of things to say and make it sound proper and nice. I am still waiting but after reading this a raper could just omit a few words and turn few words into a rap song.

5 comments:

  1. As a Junior in college, I worry myself that I am still intimidated by the genius of my fellow classmates. Every day, someone blows my mind and I worry that I am not smart enough to be in college. I hope that seeing that someone else has insecurities about their abilities this far into their studies helps you in some way. Now...to writing.

    I love to write! I feel like with this blog project, I am writing more informally than I normally do for my academics. I hope that it doesn't come back to bite me in the butt. Something that helps me, that I think could help you, is that when it comes to writing for class, I tend to write in stages.

    1st - a rough idea of what I am going to write. I just write down (with paper and pencil) key words and ideas. Then I organize it into some sort of order

    2nd - write what I want to say, however it comes to me, following the rough idea

    3rd - I go through and find "less academic" words/phrases and thesaurus it up! It helps a lot.

    4th- I read it aloud. I also tend to talk aloud while I type.

    I recommend that you don't stress out about it so much. The more you practice, the better you'll get at writing.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laurelle for the words of encouragement. I followed your advise about how I should not stressed and do more practice. For my paper I followed that advice. After shedding a few tears, I relaxed and worked on my paper. Although, it is not done yet but after some major help from the professor, I feel more comfortable working on it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand what you mean. At first, I would hear another student's paper being read aloud and silently kick myself because I could never be that descriptive. I always thought that a person has the natural ability to write. Then I took a class that forced me to read an essay by Edgar Allan Poe on how he wrote The Raven. He says it's breaking it down to it's smaller parts and trying to figure out what image you want your reader to have. I think everyone can write--we just need practice and guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can definitely relate to how you feel. Several times i have found myself becoming self-conscious, when I look at the work of others. I consider writing like riding a bike: once you do it enough it will stick and eventually you will be able to do it with ease. Just keep trying because no matter what profession you are in, you will need to have some writing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree writing is a skill that I will need to work on no matter what major I pursue. I am working hard at time and just because class would be over soon, I will not stop writing.

    ReplyDelete