My Blog List

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Zora Neale Hurston: Their Eyes were Watching God



In high school, my sister was in a book club and one day she came home with this book. I have heard of Zora before but never read her book. I truly love the story and thought that it was very well written.

After reading the book, I reviewed some of the critics and some critics say that they book was too simple and did not mention any social issue about the era Zora was living in at the time. To those critics, I would say that they are wrong. It was about a woman, Janie, quest at finding true love and somehow even after two marries, she still felt in her heart she had never truly experienced true love. It was also about an independent woman. She did not necessarily want a man to take care of her but was looking for that love. For her first two marries, even though since the beginning she knew she did not love them, she tried and thought that one day love will come, she was willing to wait and be patient but it never happened.

After her husband died, she was finally relieved of all his controlling and abusive ways and was able to be herself. When Janie least expected it, after all those years she finally experienced what she was daydreaming about since she was 16 years old.

I find that part of the story to be very sad and thought about long and hard and ask myself, would I rather have something I was waiting for all my life for one day or never have it and still know that it exist? After reading that book for the fourth time, I always ask my self that question. I think it is cruel and unfair to go through such thing but Janie at the end did not see it as cruel, she saw it as a gift to have experienced it.

3 comments:

  1. I adore this novel. I remember when it was on my summer reading list in high school. At first I had a hard time acclimating to the(very southern)language. Then, I heard about it making it on Oprah's book list so I conjured up the strength to get past the first chapters (because if Oprah loves it, then I should too)...then...I fell in love. I agree with you, those critics are wrong. If anything Hurston kept the plot simple to put even more emphasis on the characters personalities and the emotional roller coasters they each went on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this novel in high school, too. I agree with Blogalicious that the language was hard to get used to, but once you did, it absolutely helped the flow of the narrative. I think it's interesting that Hurston is a Florida native; it adds so much authenticity to the culture in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you guys loved the book. I believe that a good book don't have to be filled with complicated characters and extensive plot to be considered a good book. The self discovery of the main character throughout the book added substance to the book.

    ReplyDelete