My Blog List

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Maya Angelou: Phenomenal Woman

 
Phenomenal Woman is about a woman accepting and loving herself image just the way it is. I first heard that poem from the movie Poetic Justice starring Janet Jackson and Tupac. Ms. Angelou received lots of critics for her involvement in that movie because some thought that it was not a good way to show case her work which was done through Janet.

As a young girl growing up, I struggled a lot with myself and never thought I was good enough. I always felt out of place and awkward and never seem to fit in. I had to learn how to accept myself and appreciate the way I am first instead of looking for acceptance from other people.

I love the fact that Ms. Angelou used the word "Phenomenal" not just that we beautiful or great. It is not only about the physical appearance but the inner beauty. Beauty shine from the inside than shines through. Today's society put such an emphasis on the physical self image and because of that lot of young girls are growing up thinking that they must look a certain way to be considered as beautiful. I had to learn how to accept myself and tell myself on a daily basis that I was perfect the way I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment