My Blog List

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

When We'll Worship Jesus

When We'll Worship Jesus by Amiri Baraka is a very strong and bold poem he wrote. The words are strong, direct and clear. I do not know if the main purpose was to shock people or make them stop and think about the reality of life. We grow up and religion is feed into us as something we neither accept and go to Heaven or reject and go to Hell. In the majority of the religions that exist, the main thing that is preached is the battle between good and evil, light versus darkness or right and wrong. I believe that the poem does way more than just criticize "people" or a group of people who put all their faith in the power of the unknown. I personally grew up to believe that when something goes wrong it is because of the devil; we must blame someone for our mistake or sometimes the fact that we were born, period.

"We'll worship Jesus
When Jesus do
Something... "

Can we sit down and think of change, pray God for change and wait until our prayers make it pass the bad angels that were cast out because of their rebellion against God? Should my ancestors have stayed in slavery and be tortured, humiliated and murdered by their owners in the colony of Hispaniola? Maybe they should have waited for a sign from God that would have maybe told them not kill and murder other human being to get their freedom. Religion has been used a lot to keep the minority oppressed and enslaved. In the name of religion and in the interest of the rich and powerful, it has been used to murdered and torture innocent people.

"...not till he do something
not till he help us
not till the world get changed
and he ain, jesus ain, he cant change the world... "

 I believe that if something did not mean to take place, it would have never occurred. Everything happens in due time and like it was meant to take place. I grew up hearing of change from my father; a change as I grew up never took place and over the years has just gotten worst for my country. That was the poem makes me think about when I first read it, change for my country. The poem talked about revolution and how it can only come from ourselves. It talked about how we worship everything and even ourselves- "we are chained to fantasy and illusion " and failed to realized that we are the ones who can bring about that change by physical do something. Something can not deemed to be morally wrong by just looking at the surface and not the facts. The fact is that we can not stand behind religion only when it suits our best interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment